At Forefield Infant School, we believe that Science is a key part of the Curriculum. We recognise that a high quality Science education opens the doors for a good understanding of the world around us. We look at a range of specific disciplines such as: biology, chemistry and physics. In our teaching we encourage the children to recognise how Science has changed the world around us. We also endeavour to develop higher order thinking through both questioning and investigations. We are keen to develop the children’s enthusiasm around the subject through visitors and educational visits to a range of locations.
Science is a part of the ‘Understanding the World’ area of learning in the EYFS. Children are encouraged to explore and investigate, drawing on their own personal experiences and observing closely using their senses.
We aim to equip the children with the following skills:
- Describe and talk about what they see.
- Show curiosity about why things happen and how things work.
- Investigate objects and materials by using all of their senses as appropriate.
- Show curiosity, identify and find out about some features of living things, objects and events they observe.
- To know the features of their own immediate environment and how environments might vary from one another.
- Look closely at similarities, differences, patterns and change.
- Ask questions about why things happen and how things work.
These skills ensure the children have a secure foundation in science which is built upon in Key Stage One.
Key Stage One
Through their work in Science our Key Stage One children explore the following topics: plants, animals, everyday materials, living things and their habitats and seasonal change.
During Key Stage One pupils observe, explore and ask questions about living things, materials and phenomena. They begin to work together to collect evidence to help them answer questions and link this to simple scientific ideas. They evaluate evidence and consider whether tests or comparisons are fair. They use reference materials to find out more about scientific ideas and they share their ideas and communicate them using scientific language, drawings, charts and tables.
KS1 Science Curriculum Map